Monday, July 22, 2013

Time for Tea - Altered Teacup Pincushion

This week's project was something I've wanted to make for quite some time. I found a small cup and saucer at the op-shop a while ago and have always wanted to do something with it so I finally sat down and made it pretty!


The first thing I did was to make a small cushion insert for the pins, with a circle of lace fabric 1" larger in diameter than the rim of the cup I sewed a running stitch around the edge and then pulled tight, stuffed with cushion fill and then secured. I found a piece of doily scrap and also stitched this to the top of the cusion. 


Once this was done I glued it into the cup to one side with Helmars glue.
Now for the fun part, using the lovely pearl bead trim from Mad About Scrappin I trimmed the lip of the cup and then after gluing the cup to the saucer I casually layed the trim in the saucer just gluing in a few spots so there would still be movement and then scattered a couple of pearl beads around and placed a small teaspoon.




Back to the cushion part, I gathered up some lovely laces from the store and with a running stitch ruffled them up and glued to the side of the cushion. The remainder of the cup was then filled up with gorgeous Mad About Scrappin flowers that spill out over the handle and a sprinkling of green acrylic spray, I then placed a double seam binding bow at the base to compliment the colours of the cup. An odd earring was then glued to the bow to add a touch of bling.


I like the way this little cup turned out, not only is it pretty but it's useful too!!
Thank you so much for stopping by :)
Jeanette
Photobucket
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Super sweet!!! :D

Terri said...

Hello Jeanette,
Your newly crafted tea cup pin cushion is wonderful! I have done this a few times too, and it is such an enjoyable project.
I love the lacy top on yours, and the gorgeous ribbon and beads.
Hugs,
Terri

Billy said...

Thank you for showing how to make it. It's quite disappointing and frustrating when you find something you really want to do and after viewing, all you can do is save the image